Monday, February 23, 2015

Vilnius 1941


close up of part of the sheet

I don't usually buy a full sheet of 100 definitive stamps but since I saw a 1941 Vilnius overprint full sheet I thought I might want to keep it. Each MNH stamp has a catalog value of 2.50 Euros according to my copy of Michel so that makes it 250 Euros and I paid 34 Euros which is less than 15%, not that bad I guess... The 5 Kopecks Vilnius overprint is not particularly rare but a full sheet is not so common. Part of the border of the sheet is a bit damaged but all stamps are intact and in perfect MNH condition. The stamp is one the 8 stamps issued on July 6 1941 for the Vilnius district right after the Soviet occupation. When I got this sheet, one terrible ambition came into my mind... "Why not collect all the set in full sheet?" No... but, well... I'm still fighting with myself in my mind. I must admit, sometime it's not easy to be a collector.

4 comments:

  1. I do know what you're talking about. It's not easy to resist temptations like this. That is a very attractive looking item (and yes, I know this will not make it any easier, LOL).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one to have such feeling. But those sheets are not the only temptation... I'm recently very interested by the postal history of Podlaskie region, the north east part of Poland facing Lithuanian and Belarusian border... but budget wise I shouldn't be interested.

      Delete
  2. Temptations never end; such is the life of collector...Personally I consider the question 'would I regret later' if I didn't buy the items now, and go ahead if the answer is positive. In the end, money is just money; how you use it defines the true value of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very right Keijo! At least I won't regret that I didn't buy this full sheet. And 34 Euros, I rather spend on this sheet than a single meal in a Sushi restaurant. Just a single meal...

      Delete