Monday, November 26, 2012

Klaipėda 1943



It is a German military field post card (Feldpost) sent in 1943 from Memel (now Klaipėda, Lithuania). There is a lovely picture of a moose dipping the whole feet in the seawater. I didn't know that a moose would be willing to go to such deep in the sea but picture shows it so it must be true. Moose is also called Eurasian elk especially the one in Europe, living not only in Lithuania but in the Baltic republics, Scandinavia, Russia and other areas. It is called Briedis in Lithuanian and Elch in German as you see in the description of the postcard. I have seen it myself in the woods between Nida and Juodkrantė, I just love their goofy face, it's so cute!

2 comments:

  1. I feel that there could be also a "hidden meaning" in such a view (horny... in the waters... military post with censorship...).
    But I do not know what.
    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha.. Nazi censorship on moose hidden part. That's good!

    ReplyDelete