Saturday, November 10, 2012

Jašiūnai 1931




Helvetia... Yes, I'm not mistaken and you are reading Lithuanian Philately blog now! All Swiss stamps has this inscription "Helvetia", my guess is that Switzerland has so many national languages that they didn't use any of it to be fair. This is a detached prepaid answer part of a Swiss double stationery directed to Zürich, Suisse (French name for Switzerland) in 1931 from Jaszuny (now Jašiūnai, Lithuania) during the Polish occupation period. The text is written in French. "... et son fils est à Jaszuny mais il étudie à L'université de Vilno", sounds like whoever's son is living in Jaszuny/Jašiūnai but is studying at the university of Vilno/Vilnius. This made me wonder how is he commuting everyday between Jašiūnai and Vilnius? It didn't take me long to find out the most probable answer by looking at the map. Jaszuny/Jašiūnai was actually located along the railway line Wilno/Vilnius - Soleczniki/Šalčininkai - Lyda (now Ліда/Lida, Belarus), so he must have been commuting everyday by train! Life in 1931 is much more modern than I'm imagining I guess... I wonder how much is the catalog value of this stationery. If someone can help me with this, I would appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment