Saturday, February 9, 2013

Klaipėda 1940





This is a postcard sent in 1940 from Memel (now Klaipėda, Lithuania) to Berlin, Germany. The building shown on the picture postcard covered by numerous Nazi Swastika/Hakenkreuz is the old city hall, once used as the Royal residence of Prussian King Friedrich Wilhelm III and his wife Queen Luise between 1807 and 1808 during the Napoleonic war, when Memel/Klaipėda was the temporary capital of the Kingdom. Today, what we see on this picture postcard is pretty much the same except for the Swastikas and the statue of Borussia (personification of Prussia) which has been replaced by a different one.

4 comments:

  1. can you please remind me of our communication?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have sent you an email from your Blogger profile!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes, I do have this postcard. I only post in this blog what I have in my collection

      Delete