Saturday, August 22, 2015

Kupiškis 1911




This is an answer part of an Imperial Russian round trip double postal stationery sent in 1911 from Купишки / Kupishki (now Kupiškis, Lithuania),  Ков (Kovna gubernia) to ПоневѢж / Ponevezh (now Panevėžys, Lithuania). The text on the back is Jewish but the interesting part is that on the top, there is a name and an address in Chicago, US. I don't know if the sender is writing to this person or it is the sender himself since I can't read Jewish at all. Kupiškis appears in lot of prewar Jewish documents because they apparently had a large community there.

2 comments:

  1. I think the text is not in Hebrew, but in Yiddish (a German dialect) in characters of the Hebrew script.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this piece of information! I can't make the difference since I can't read the script but looking at Wikipedia I found: "Yiddish is also the academic language of the study of the Talmud according to the tradition of the Lithuanian yeshivas." Very interesting! It also mentions that Lithuania and Belarus form one dialect of Yiddish.

      Delete