Saturday, January 12, 2013

Vilnius 1933




This is a postcard sent in 1933 from Wilno 2 (now Vilnius, Lithuania) to Porzecze k. Grodna (Pariečė in Lithuanian, now Парэчча/Parechcha in Hrodna district, Belarus). The picture in the postcard is the famous Trys kryžiai/Three Crosses in Vilnius erected by a Polish-Lithuanian architect Antoni Wiwulski who is also responsible for the massive Grunwald monument in Kraków, Poland. The original shown in the picture was destroyed by the Soviet authority in 1950 but a slightly bigger replica has been re-erected in 1989 which you can see today.

6 comments:

  1. It is curious also the language used in the message. It is German and it seems a wish owing to a Name Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes... and very nice hand writing. Its hard to tell the sender's nationality just from the name given. Scandinavian? or maybe a Lithuanian named Voldemaras? I have no clue..

    ReplyDelete
  3. German is not the senders first language. There are some grammatical mistakes in the text. I can imagine, that the sender and the recipient had different first languages, but both understood German.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting point that I wouldn't never notice without a German speaking person pointing me out! Thank you! Not only German was a widely spoken language in the Baltic region, it was often a language that linked 2 person who had different linguistic backgrounds. I wish I could understand German... There are so many information and books about eastern Europe written only in German.

      Delete
  4. I think anyone fluent in German,French and English today is in a very good position today in the philatelic world, as the majority of philatelic knowledge is available in one of these 3 languages...and knowledge is power !

    BTW I am not a Lithuania collector, but a general worldwide collector who likes to dig a little deeper than most of my colleagues.I follow this blog, as I think that it is a textbook presentation of philatelic knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Malcolm! Indeed there is so much knowledges behind philately and I really enjoy digging a bit deeper as well.

      Delete